This used to be the location of a beautiful, historic bungalow home. It was razed in 1997, to make room for a set of three duplexes, one of which has been built.
What is the early history related to this house?
The house was built by Charles Porter in 1911. As told in the 1911 Davis Enterprise, “Mr and Mrs Porter . . .will return [from their honeymoon] to Davis where a handsome home has been erected by Mr. Porter” Mrs. Porter (Rose Henning), was born near Tremont but grew up in Davis. She is described in the Enterprise as being “an accomplished violinist and has devoted considerable time teaching this popular instrument.” Charles Porter is described as being a native of Michigan and “of his life previous to his arrival at Davis several years since, we are not familiar.” However, he came here well recommended in the service of the Bay Counties Power Company. A young man of good habits and surrounded by a wide circle of admiring friends.” The Porters had two children, Charles, Jr. and Diana. Rose died in 1924, and Charles died in 1934 or 35. Charles Porter’s sisters came and stayed with Diana until she was 21.